Neutral tones are the canvas for creating many great interiors and while we love grays and browns, color is what really brings personality and life to a space. Selecting the colors to enhance your space can seem tricky. Many people are fearful of selecting the wrong shade or color combinations that may date their décor or not look the way they intended. This is where a professional decorator is a godsend. They can help uncover the shades that inspire you or invoke the mood you are looking to create in your space.
We’ve put together a few tips to help you start thinking about using color in your home with confidence.
- Broaden your definition of neutral colors. Today, neutrals go beyond beige, cream and gray. Black and navy can also be considered neutral, as well as metallic.
- Use Pinterest or Houzz to search for rooms with color that you like. Once you have created boards or idea books with 10 or more photos you are likely to see some commonalities.
- Find one shade that you love and balance it with other textures and neutrals in your room.
- If you are apprehensive about a bold color, go a few shades lighter in the same color family.
- Look at your existing artwork for inspiration.
- Test the color out with accessories or a statement piece such as a side table or dresser.
Ready to give color a try? Our professional decorators work with you to uncover your distinct style with our Styleprint System. When we design a room for you we bring samples of upholstery, wallpaper, rugs, and paint for you to touch and feel. When our clients find their color confidence, they are pleasantly surprised by their selections and are thrilled with the results!
To find your local DecorDesigner, simply click here.
Photo courtesy of Therese Bush-Hilgar, Styleprint Designer.